Monday, January 10, 2011

Quite Nice?

Anyone who has read my blogs may know that I wasn't much of a fan of Delicious and, I'm guessing, everyone now knows that Delicious is done, or will be soon.
Just today I realised that a service I use regularly does have one aspect that sort of mirrors one of Delicious' primary functions.
Bit.Ly (http://bit.ly/) is a free on-line service that allows to to shrink those ridiculously long URL's that you often find down into something short enough to allow you to post links in Twitter or emails, without negatively impacting your word-count.
To use it all you have to do is Copy the URL of the site you are interested in and Paste it into the box on Bit.Ly. Instantly, without any other input, it is converted into a much shorter URL. Simply Copy that URL and Paste it into your Twitter post or email.
Earlier today somebody mentioned a site I had emailed someone else and asked if I had kept the link. I started to tell them that I had not kept when I suddenly realised that I had, without any plan or effort on my part.
Bit.Ly keeps a record of every long URL you shrink! It keeps records of links and Tweets about the URL as well, and a lot more information I haven't explored.
Now this is not the reason that I signed up to Bit.Ly but it is certainly the kind of value-adding that makes any web service more useful, especially on a free service.
It may not be Delicious but, in terms of tracking websites I found interesting enough to share with others, it does a good enough job for me.

2 comments:

  1. I will have to tell my daughter about that one, she will think I am so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the bit.ly link. Very useful when using Twitter.

    ReplyDelete